- September 1988 May 1991, USA:
major in Astronomy at San Francisco State University and at the University of Southern California, then major in Fine Arts.
- December 1993, Los Angeles, CA,USA :
Bachelor of Arts in Fine Arts, emphasis in sculpture, from the University of Southern California.
- November 2002, Paris, France :
DEA (master degree) in Fine Arts from the Sorbonne University.
- May 2008, Chicago, USA:
MFA in Performance Art awarded by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
- 2013: Sugar Grove, IL, USA: “Audiolfactory Creolization”, an interactive installation is curated by Cecilia Vargas into a group show “Cultural Evolution? Migration, Hybridity and Multiculturalism” at the Arrowhead room of the Waubonsee Community College.
- 2012: Klaipedia, Lithuania: “Genius Loci “, group exhibition curated by Yulia Starsteva (Canada) and Vytautas Michelkevičius (Lithuania) at the Klaipėda Culture Communication Centre.
Aizpute, Latvia: “Poetics Of Herbology”, SERDE [see residencies below].
- 2011: Nida Art Colony, Lithuania: contribution to Inter-format symposium, a symposium examining interdisciplinary art, with a tea ritual, performance (sonified tea).
Olfactory Map of the Curonian Spit, web art, interactive online map: http://www.gwennaellynn.com/?page_id=38
Chicago, IL, USA: BlackXican pozole, food performance for “Hecho en Casa” a program of events that verge on acts of domesticity at Cobalt Space in Pilsen.
Schöppingen, Germany: Performance rund um den Wind, a performance about renewable energy [see residencies below].
- 2010: Saint Cloud, France: Racines… (jardin d’hiver parlant) [Roots, a speaking garden.] Pépinières Européennes pour Jeunes Artistes, [see residencies below].
Chicago, IL, USA: Center of Multiple Middles, group show at Harold Washington College. Reenactment of the « Great Lakes Herbal Tea Project » (performance/installation from 2007).
Chicago, Il, USA: Center Line 10, group show at the Zhou Brothers Art Center.
Chicago, IL, USA: performs with La Pocha Nostra at the Gender Fusion festival curated by Columbia College.
Chicago, IL, USA: performs Precession/The Living Newspapers for Mark Jeffrey and Judd Morissey. This is part of the Hide & Seek exhibition series at the Museum of Contemporary Art.
- 2009 : Chicago, IL, USA: performs Corpo Illicito with la Pocha Nostra at Critical Encounters, Fact and Faith, Columbia College [see continuing education, at end of resume, for more details]
Paul WHO? Group show at Slow in the neighbourhood of Pilsen in Chicago. Curated by Larry Lee. An audiolfactory portrait.
Wintertime Love, a video performance from 2008, is projected at the video festival OK Video Comedy at the National Galleries of Indonesia, Jakarta. The festival is organized by Ruan Grupa. http://www.okvideofestival.org/okvideo/
Chicago, IL, USA, “South Side Herbal Tea Project”, an adaptation of the “Great Lakes Herbal Tea Project” [see August 2007 below] for the South Side Community Art Center.
- 2008 : Paris, France, Food Performance at the Cité Internationale des Arts de Paris, in collaboration with:
Valeria Cotaimich (Argentina), Andrea Inocêncio (Portugal), Melina Peña (Mexico-Espana). Through the ritual partaking of drinks, this performance aimed at knitting trans-border social fabric. The drinks were made from plants endemic to the artists’ respective localities: sage (France-USA), Damiana (Mexico), wine (Portugal), and Mate (Argentina).
Chicago, IL, USA, MFA exhibition at Gallery 2 with “Untitled” an interactive sound and smell Installation about the locality of Chicago.
Eindhoven, the Netherlands, “Wintertime Love” a videotaped performance is included in a group show at De Overslag.
- 2007 : Luxembourg, Luxembourg, the Interactive odours and sounds installation (see “residencies below”) is reassembled at the Casino Luxembourg, Forum for Contemporary Art. It is part of a group show, art4Lux, a symposium on emerging young European artists.
Chicago, USA, the “Great Lakes Herbal Tea Project”, an olfactory, taste, and sound installation, is part of a group show at Gallery 2.
Eindhoven, the Netherlands, Interactive odours and sounds installation at De Overslag.
- 2006: Chicago, IL, the USA, “Reconsidered Thanksgiving” a food performance done at the 2M performance space, School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
Villa deBank, Enschede, the Netherlands, Interactive Odour and Sound Installation (see “residencies” below)
- 2005: Lyon, France, performance olfasonore, with Antony Maubert., at Théâtre de la villa Gillet, on an invitation from the GMVL (Groupe Musique Vivante de Lyon) -see “residencies” below.
Nantes, France, Borderline : « Eating is a Sacred, Sensual, and Political Act ». Food performance derived from the celebration of the Epiphany.
- 2004 : Paris, France, performance olfasonore at Forge de Belleville with Antony Maubert (see “residencies” below.)
Performance olfasonore at Cité Universitaire internationale with Antony Maubert (see “residencies” below.)
- 2003: Paris, France, a food performance simultaneously disseminated in three places for « l’Art Et Le Politique Interloqués », a symposium on Art and the political organized by the Sorbonne.
Limoges, France, Camping 2003 (ENAD) : a food performance simultaneously disseminated in four different places.
Paris, France, « 3ème Gauche » [3rd, left] apartment group show: 27 blvd. Henri IV. A site specific installation with mirrors, and another piece with amplified feed back loop from a perfume diffuser, diffusing my own sweat.
- 2002 : Paris, France, « Espace En Cours » , 25 rue de la Réunion, Paris 75020 : « 24 Hours » a performance with Kamal Karry (dancer) and Antony Maubert (composer).
Paris, France, Théâtre 347, 7 cité Chaptal : « Olfactory Path », installation.
- 2001 : France, Vitry-sur-Seine, Gare au Théâtre, 13 rue Pierre Sémard. multi sensory installation in relation to the play by Marguerite Duras: “La Maladie De La Mort”. This is part of a festival, Duras à Vitry,” as a tribute to the works of Marguerite Duras.
- 2000 : Paris, France, In Fact, 51 rue de châteaudun, « L’apres Derniers Jours » (The day after last), group show ; « Untitled 1991 / 1994 » (wood and paper stacks installation).
In Fact, 51 rue de châteaudun, Installation/Performance, in collaboration with Kamal Karry (dancer) and Antoine Banville (percussionist).
- 1998 : Saint Quentin France, Théâtre Jean Vilar, stage set for ”Terra Incognita”, a choregraphy by Kamal Karry.
- 1997: Paris, France, Mois Bis de la Photo, Espace Nesle : series of black and white 8 X 10 inches photographies from “Things in Downtown Los Angeles”.
Los Angeles, CA, USA, The Hatch Gallery, Venice, CA: «An Autobiographical Installation About Narcissism».
Creteil, France, a site specific installation done in the apartment of Kamal Karry.
- 1996 : Los Angeles, CA, USA, « USC Centennial » : performer for a multi media show by Epoch Clothing Company.
- 1994 : Los Angeles, CA, USA, USC Helen Lindhurst Gallery : group exhibit, one double sided painting.
- 1993 : Los Angeles, CA, USA, USC Helen Lindhurst Gallery : “It Helps To Grow Up With It”, group exhibit, a series of black and white, 16 X 20 inches, photographs of found objects still lives from downtown Los Angeles.
Los Angeles, CA, USA, juried show (Curator: Thomas Lawson, Santa Monica Museum of Art),USC Fischer Gallery: «Childhood», and one metal sculpture.
Los Angeles, CA, USA, USC Verle Annis Gallery: 2 installations: “Untitled I 1993″, “Childhood” ; 1 sculpture: “Untitled II 1993″.
Los Angeles, CA, USA, USC Helen Lindhurst Gallery: “WOULD”, group exhibit, one wood sculpture.
- 1992 : Los Angeles, CA, USA, juried show: USC Fischer Gallery, one wax sculpture.
- June 2012: Aizpute, Latvia:
artist in residence at SERDE through the “Pepinières pour Jeunes Artistes Européens” and Tanec Praha networks. I developed a performance “Poetics Of Herbology”, and made some ceramics and wooden utensils to serve the herbal teas of the performance.
- October 2011, Schöppingen, Germany:
artist in residence at stiftung-kunstlerdorf funded by the Nord-Rhine Westphalia region. I developed “Performance rund um den Wind”, a performance with the wind about renewable energy.
April-May 2011, Nida, Lithuania:
artist in residence at Nida Art Colony. This residency is funded by Transcultural Research Artists Curators Exchange Series (T-R-A-C-E-S). I developed a tea ritual, and an olfactory map of the locality (the Curonian Spit), and conducted two performative olfactory workshop.
- October 2010-December 2010, Saint Cloud, France:
artist in residence through the “Pepinières pour Jeunes artistes européens”, in partnership with la Ville de Paris. I made a site specific interactive installation, Racines… (jardin d’hiver parlant) [Roots, a speaking garden;] and conducted a workshop in Saint-Cloud, and I had a studio at the Cité internationale des Arts de Paris.
- October 2005 to May 2006, Enschede, the Netherlands:
Artist in residence through an artists European exchange program: “Pepinières pour Jeunes artistes européens”. In this context I developed an interactive installation with odours and sounds with the help of Paul Jansen Klomp, Antony Maubert, and Michel Roudnitska.
- January – March 2004, Paris, France :
Artist in Residence at the cultural center of the Cité Universitaire internationale. This residency was funded by “Cite Cultures”. During this residency I made a “Performance Olfasonore” [olfactory performance] in collaboration with composer Antony Maubert. I also worked on several studio specific installations.
- April 2013, Chicago Cultural Center, Chicago, IL, USA: contribution to the panel: “Art Out Of Sight: The Future Of Multisensory Art.” This lecture is part of the series “Intersections” and sponsored by Columbia College.
- November 2012, De Paul University, Chicago, IL, USA: contribution to the Pushing the Boundaries of Mixed-Race
Theorizing panel of the Critical Mixed Race Studies conference with a paper « A Multitude Of Scents. »
- September 2010, Columbia College, Interactive Arts and Media Department, Chicago, IL, USA.
- 2013: Emergency Index, “Poetics of Herbology”, (New York, Ugly Ducking Press). Edited by Yelena Gluzman and Sophia Cleary ISBN 978-1-937027-12-4 Online description available here
catalog documenting the group exhibition “Cultural Evolution: Migration, Hybridity, and Multiculturalism” at the Waubonsee Community College, curated by Cecilia Vargas, where the Audiolfactory Creolization interactive installation was featured. This catalog is available as a pdf for download here
SERDE Artists In Residencies Catalog published by SERDE and documenting my residency at SERDE in Aizpute, Latvia. It can be viewed online here
- 2012: interview with Laura Capuozzo about my practice with plants and scents on Noema.lab, an online journal examining the relations between technology and culture: http://noemalab.eu/ideas/intervista-a-gwenn-ael-lynn-interview-to-gwenn-ael-lynn/ [in Italian and English]
- 2011: publication of Nida Art Colony Log, Spring 2011 Nr. 1. It contained a printed version of the Olfactory Map of the Curonian spit, a net art project, and a text, that I authored, about my in-residence work. The magazine is a bilingual publication in English and Lithuanian.
Laima Kreivyté: « Nidos heterotopijos. Ir laivas plaukia [Nida's Heterotopias: And The Ship Keeps Sailing] » Originally published in “7 meno diemos” Nr. 20 (942), 2011-05-20. Republished in Nida Art Colony Log. A critical text about the vibrating tea table that Natalia Borissova and I built.
Article in Schöppingen Alstätte on 10/21/2011 “Der Dom Quijote Vom Berg” written by Rupert Joemann about Performance rund um den Wind
A short TV documentary about Performance rund um den Wind was aired on German Public TV WDR on Monday October 24th.
“Transfer. Beiträge zur Kunstveermittlung #8 : Praxistest. Künstleriche projekte zur vermittung aktueller kunst” [On-Road-Test. Disseminating contemporary art projects] Catalog documenting the residents who tackled the question of “new ways of presenting contemporary art” at the Stiftung Kunstlerdorf in Schöppingen, Germany. It contains an article (that I authored) about Performance rund um den Wind.
Forthcoming interview with Caroline Picard about my Audiolfactory hyrbid installation in Chicago (work in progress) on the blog of Bad At Sports (http://www.badatsports.com).
- 2010: radio interview with Aude Lavigne about my installation Racines… [Roots... a speaking garden.] « La Vignette », radio program on “France Culture.ʺ
- 2009: The videotaped performance “Wintertime Love” is included in the catalog of the group show “OK Video Comedy”, curated by Aminudin TH Siregar.
- 2008: The “Interactive odour and Sound Installation” is featured in the catalog documenting the two years restrospective of exhibitions at De Overslag in Eindhoven, the Netherlands.
- 2007: The “Interactive odour and Sound Installation” is featured in the catalog of the group show art4lux at Casino Luxembourg, Forum for Contemporary Art.
- 2006: Publication of the audio CD/catalog of the Interactive Odour and Sound Installation by Villa de Bank.
A radio interview about the Interactive odour and sound Installation is aired by Het gescheurde Doek.
- 2005 : Paris, France: Publication of “Performance nutritive disséminée en trois points”, a text, that I authored, about the disseminated food performance from 2003 in“ACTES” the minutes of the symposium on art and the political “l’Art et le politique interloqués”. Editions l’Harmattan.
Nantes, France, An interview about the Food performance, « Eating is a Sacred, Sensual, and Political Act », was aired on « Damnedradio » (Jetfm 91.2 Nantes) on February 14th.
- 2001 : Paris, France, an interview about the multi-sensory installation related to La maladie de la mort by Marguerite Duras is aired during « Onde de choc » [shockwave] a program by Radio Libertaire (Paris 89.4.)
- 1992 : Los Angeles, CA, USA, two poems, “the moon no longer pulls…” and “people wander…”, published in “Junkyard Dog”, Los Angeles, #5, Spring 1992.
- 2012, Aizpute, Latvia: SERDE, funds from pepinieres européènnes pour jeunes artistes and Tanec Praha. “Poetics Of Herbology“
- October 2011, Schoppingen, Germany: Stiftung-kunstlerdorf, funds from Nord-Rhine Westphalia region. “Performance rund um den Wind”
April-May 2011, Nida, Lithuania: artist in residence at Nida Art Colony. This residency is funded by Transcultural Research Artists Curators Exchange Series (T-R-A-C-E-S). I developed a tea ritual, and an olfactory map of the locality (the Curonian Spit), and conducted two performative olfactory workshop.
- 2010, Saint Cloud, France: Pepinières européènnes pour Jeunes artistes, artist residency funded by the EEC and la Ville de Paris. Interactive installation in Saint-Cloud and art studio at the Cité Internationale des Arts de Paris.
- April 2009, Chicago, IL, USA: Community Arts Assistance Program grant awarded by the Department of Cultural Affairs from the City of Chicago for an interactive sound and smell installation about hybridity. Jurors: Denenge Akpem (artist) and Jonathan Canning (Loyola University Museum of Art).
- December 2008, Paris, France: Allocation Exceptionnelle, Centre National des Arts Plastiques.
May 2008, Chicago, IL, USA: MFA fellowship awarded by the School of the Art Institute of Chicago. Jury members: Helen Molesworth, Curator of Contemporary Art, Harvard University Art Museum; Tumelo Mosaka, Assistant Curator, Brooklyn Museum of Art; Heidi Zuckerman Jacobson, Director and Chief Curator, Aspen Art Museum.
- 2005-6 Pepinières européènnes pour Jeunes artistes, artist residency funded by Dutch and EEC foundations.
- October 2009 , Chicago IL, USA:
8 days workshop + performance of Corpo Illicito with la Pocha Nostra at Critical Encounters, Fact and Faith at Columbia College.
- August 1st 2008 – August 12th 2008, Evora, Portugal:
attends La Pocha Nostra summer school with Guillermo Gomez-Pena and Roberto Sifuentes and 25 other performance artists.